Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Week 9--Instant Messaging--AIM, Facebook Chat

Since I have used Instant Messaging many times in the past, this lesson was an easy one for me. I started out using AOL Instant Message. We use this program in our school district as a way of sharing info between staff members. Until recently, we didn't have phones in the classrooms, so this was a good way to stay in touch with other teachers or the office, especially in the event of a discipline problem. Also, our schools were on separate phone companies and a call was long distance, so AIM was a good way to send communication between buildings and not run up the phone bill.

While I was working on my master's, I used Yahoo Messenger a lot. All of the courses were online and for one particular class I had to work with a partner who lived in Topeka. Phone calls were too expensive and emails too slow, so we used the messenger program for the majority of our communication. It worked great. Even if I wasn't online, if she sent a message, it would pop up the next time I got online.

More recently, I have used the chat feature on Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family. I chatted with a fellow 23 Things Kansas student to finalize our plans for the Cloud Computing lesson. My sister also set up an account for me on MSN Messenger, but I very seldom use it.

I also signed in on the IRC channel for 23thingsks. At first I couldn't type anything, but eventually the box appeared and I was able to talk briefly to Sharon. Not sure what the problem was.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting, Ruth. I haven't read all of your posts yet. Just getting started. I find this post fascinating. Blessings, Cheri

    ReplyDelete